Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Third time is NOT the charm...

So yesterday was a dig day in a pretty bad way. I got the news that my third IUI cycle failed and I am not pregnant.

The sad thing is that I pretty much expected it to be negative the whole time. I mean, of course, I had a little hope that maybe just maybe something might work but pretty much I knew this was just going to suck. I think that expecting a negative worked out better for me emotionally since I was prepared for the bad news. It was still devastating but not as bad as last time - if that makes any sense at all.

Following the email with the bad news I got a slew if emails from my nurse and the finance department about starting IVF. I had to schedule a ton of appointments for me and for Shawn as well all coming up pretty soon.

I signed a financial consent and need to come up with $1,495 by Tuesday to cover$1,155 for cryopreservation and $340 for another semen anaylsis. Now I know I should be thankful that I have fertility coverage at all but $1,495 is still a lot of money for me to come up with just like that. It will basically wipe out what I have saved to go towards my deductible coming up in February. I am choosing not to think about that right now...or the fact that frozen embryo transfers are not covered at all...choosing to be thankful that my insurance will be picking up (at least this time) the $15,000 tab. If I was doing this on my own the total for the cycle would be $17,435 and that is without meds.

Another thing I am worried about are the costs of the medications. I am assuming that most or some will be covered with small(ish) co-pays but I am quickly learning that infertility can quickly drain your bank account. I am hoping for a bonus that will make sure my family doesn't get ultrasound pics of my ovaries for christmas...

So I guess we are on to IVF. We have scheduled another semen analysis, a saline sonogram, a 2 hour teach class to learn about all the medications and injections and have an estimate of when the retrieval and transfer dates will be. There are a lot of appointments and I am going to have to miss a significant amount of work so I decided yesterday afternoon to "come out" to my female boss and just let her in on what was going on with me and why I would have to miss so much time at work. She was awesome and so understanding especially since she went through the retrieval and ICSI herself though she never did transfer.

Here we go...I'm a little nervous about the high stakes but excited for the increased percentages.

No comments:

Post a Comment