Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Support

Support for me has come in many forms and from many different people.

First I have my husband who, like it or not, is going through this all with me. Sometimes I forget that he is just as much a part of this as I am and that he wants a child just as I do. Granted, I get to do all the "fun" (note the THICK sarcasm here) tests and procedures but this is something that affects both of us and our mutual desire to have a child. I love my husband and am so thankful for him and his support while I am shooting myself full of hormones and generally being extra moody and emotional. I know that this is hard for me but sometimes (ok - most of the time) it is easy to forget that he is dealing with the same things and it is hard for him too and he has really shown me just how great of a husband he is though all of this tough stuff.

I also have wonderful family who do their best to know when give me the space I need and are there for a supportive word and friends who support me through prayer and are there to encourage me when I am feeling down. They may be as fertile as can be and really not understand what I am going through but I know that they care and that is really important to me.

A group of women that I am so grateful for and who have offered tremendous support for me have been other women I have met who are also infertile. There are several ways I have met these women and by far they have been the best source of information, support and encouragement. It is hard to explain but going through something difficult like this, it is comforting to know that there are others dealing with the same stuff, all the tests, medications, injections, procedures, hope, stress, anxiety, disappointment and sometimes joy.

The first group of women I have met through a Fertile Yoga class and support group that is put on by my RE's office every Saturday morning. I started going to this as often as I could even before my lap surgery back in July - so for about 6 months. I have written before about how much I love Fertile Yoga but really it is the women who I have met through it and the encouragement and frustrations we are able to share knowing that we all really understand exactly what the other is feeling. Recently the support we have been able to give to each other has been incredible. It used to be that we would share whenever we were all at class together but we have formed friendships and bonds over this trouble in our lives that has extended past a peer support group and there are some of these women I talk to frequently, if not daily and keep up to date on what is going on with them and helping each other out though difficulties and questions.

The second group of women I have met through online support groups. Like the women I have met in my Fertile Yoga class they just get exactly what I am going through and are able to relate in a way that no others can no matter how hard they try or how well intentioned they can be. This is why I think the internet is so wonderful. It allows you to connect with people who you normally wouldn't have a chance to and in this case brings together tons of people going through similar situations when in real life you would be lucky to know anyone. If it were not for my RE office having the yoga class and support groups (which not many RE offices offer) I would know one person (in real life) who went through this and now she has moved away. Online support groups and forums help because you can ask questions and surely someone will know the answer and will be able to respond quickly too!

I don't know what I would do without all the wonderful people who support me through this, both those I know in real life and my online supporters :)

No comments:

Post a Comment